I taught a geode cake class today and here is my geode cake I made! Inspired loosely by the geode rock in the first picture. I love these cakes they are so much fun!
What you need to make your very own geode cake...
3 layers of cake - any flavor, buttercream, rock candy - variety of colors, fondant, food dye, edible paint - optional.
a turn table, offset spatula, rolling pin, tweezers, fondant smoothers, knife or x-acto, paint brush, cake board.
1. have your cakes baked & your frosting made!! also break all of your rock candy off of the stick, try to keep some large pieces.
2. google images of geode rocks and find a few that inspire you, color wise & look wise. screenshot them!
3. build your cake on a cake board like you would a normal 3 layer cake. ***using fillings is not ideal because you are going to carve the cake and it could leak out the sides. refrigerate your cake!
4. while your cake is chilling in the fridge, knead your fondant and try to get a nice marbled look when you roll it out. you can use any colors that your heart desires!
5. once your fondant is rolled, take your cake out of the fridge, i like to use a paint brush to lightly wet my frosting to make sure that the fondant will stick. get ready to cover your cake and make sure that you have your fondant smoother and x-acto knife close when covering your cake for easy use!
6. once your cake is covered, take a knife and choose where you want to carve your geode, i recommend using the part where your fondant met so that there will be no flaws in the fondant, it will look like you did it on purpose! :)
7. coat the area that you cut out with frosting so that the rock candy pieces will easily stick! use your tweezers to carefully place each rock candy piece!
8. ***optional - paint around your geode area with paint to get the agate swirl look!
9. photograph your geode cake & then dig in!!!!