here i am sharing my o.g. molasses cookie recipe. it was one of the first recipes i ever made, i used to bring them to the candle pin bowling alley when my brother and i did a league there over 10 years ago. i thought this recipe was gone forever, but my mom just recently found it; with my original handwriting too!! :)
so of course i had to make the cookies today for old times sake! i hope you all enjoy!
cream together shortening, sugar, egg & molasses in a stand mixer until light and fluffy,
add dry in two batches. batter will be thick. use a cookie scoop to make even sized cookies. roll into a ball then roll the ball in sanding sugar until it completely coated. place on silpat (or parchment) lined trays leaving about 2 inches between each cookie ball. bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes. the cookies will expand, puff and crack in the oven, and will deflate when cooling. bake the cookies for less time for a softer cookie or longer for a crunchy cookie! enjoy with milk! :)
I taught a geode cake class today and here is my geode cake I made! Inspired loosely by the geode rock in the first picture. I love these cakes they are so much fun!
What you need to make your very own geode cake...
3 layers of cake - any flavor, buttercream, rock candy - variety of colors, fondant, food dye, edible paint - optional.
a turn table, offset spatula, rolling pin, tweezers, fondant smoothers, knife or x-acto, paint brush, cake board.
1. have your cakes baked & your frosting made!! also break all of your rock candy off of the stick, try to keep some large pieces.
2. google images of geode rocks and find a few that inspire you, color wise & look wise. screenshot them!
3. build your cake on a cake board like you would a normal 3 layer cake. ***using fillings is not ideal because you are going to carve the cake and it could leak out the sides. refrigerate your cake!
4. while your cake is chilling in the fridge, knead your fondant and try to get a nice marbled look when you roll it out. you can use any colors that your heart desires!
5. once your fondant is rolled, take your cake out of the fridge, i like to use a paint brush to lightly wet my frosting to make sure that the fondant will stick. get ready to cover your cake and make sure that you have your fondant smoother and x-acto knife close when covering your cake for easy use!
6. once your cake is covered, take a knife and choose where you want to carve your geode, i recommend using the part where your fondant met so that there will be no flaws in the fondant, it will look like you did it on purpose! :)
7. coat the area that you cut out with frosting so that the rock candy pieces will easily stick! use your tweezers to carefully place each rock candy piece!
8. ***optional - paint around your geode area with paint to get the agate swirl look!
9. photograph your geode cake & then dig in!!!!
On February 28th at 1pm I will be doing a live picking of two winners out of a hat for my moving giveaway!!
First winner will recieve a FREE 6in cake (chocolate, vanilla or funfetti!) as well as 6 lwt sugar cookies!!
Second winner will recieve 1 dozen mini cupcakes (chocolate, vanilla or funfetti!) and 6 lwt sugar cookies!!
REMEMBER, you are entered if you placed an order during the month of February. Placed more than one order? You are entered more than one time.
I have a few more openings February 24, 25, and March 5 through 9th for orders, BUT THESE ARE THE ONLY DATES LEFT... so place your last minute orders now!!
Thank you to everyone that has ordered this month and supported me thus far! <3
chubby unicorn cakes are trending right now.... so of course I had to make a version of one for myself!! this cake is for sale right now, it's a 6in vanilla with a raspberry jam & chocolate buttercream filling, vanilla buttercream outside! the unicorn is edible and features one of my homemade watermelon slice sprinkles!!!
help me find a good home for him!
with only a few weeks left of little watermelon treats orders... I figured it's time for a giveaway!!! to enter - place an order for pickup between 2/14/2018 and 3/3/2018 to be entered for a chance to win! already have an order placed during this time period? you're automatically entered!
there will be TWO winners! first winner will receive a FREE 6in cake (chocolate, vanilla or funfetti) as well as 6 lwt sugar cookies! second winner will receive 1 dozen mini cupcakes (chocolate, vanilla or funfetti) and 6 lwt sugar cookies!
remember, February is the last full month to order with me, so why not order now for a chance to win some free treats!?
hey everyone --
my second video is up on YouTube!! go watch me talk a little bit about how I started, what I do and where I'm going!
like, share, comment, subscribe!!
my first video is up on youtube! please ignore my awkwardness & mediocre editing, i promise it will get better with time! please subscribe, like, share & comment!!!
i haven't made a post in forever so i figured i would check in and say happy holidays! get your christmas and holiday party orders in now!!
also stay tuned for a big announcement -- coming soon! :)